Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bi, đừng sợ!


Bi, Don't be Afraid! is a sort of slice-of-life movie about a middle class family in Vietnam. It was a really...sweaty movie. Ice/melting ice/dripping water were reoccuring motifs in the film. The film doesn't revolve around the titular character (a young boy) so much as it does around the whole family. The film kinda gets really weirdly sexual about halfway through... I feel like there are some cultural references I may be missing. It was interesting, though. It's only the second Vietnamese film I've seen, the first being Vertical Ray of the Sun.

I saw this with my mom & my sister, but ran into my friend Tracy downtown on the way in, so she came too. You know you've lived somewhere too long when you start running into people. Ha! The film was showing at the California Theater, a really nice restored old theatre in San Jose. It's unfortunate that they don't show films there more often! (it's home to the San Jose opera).

The film is also showing at the San Francisco International Asian American Festival.

my bff at the movie. i would post more pictures of the theater interior--it's lovely--but my camera isn't very good!
After the film Tracy suggested we pop in on the Festival meetup.  It was going down at Clubhouse (a new bar downtown. I got a Yelp check-in discount so I will likely go in for drinks sometime).  The bar was full of movie..type...people so I was a bit out of place as a mere film fan (not to mention my poor social skills), but Tracy is a festival volunteer and knew a few people.  We struck up a conversation with some guy in distribution.  It was neat.

Post #100.

No comments:

Post a Comment