Thursday, March 3, 2011

Little Baby Jesus of Flandr


This is what I get for trying to take an interest in culture and local happenings.

So, I saw my first Cinequest screening today and things were pretty disorganized.  They appeared to have a gaggle of volunteers running things.  They had--no joke--like seven people taking tickets.  One person to take the ticket.  One person to hand me a pencil for the survey (there was also a different person outside after the film to collect my pencil).  At least two of these people touched my shoulders.  UH, HELLO.  I LIKE MOVIES BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE INTERACTING WITH ACTUAL PEOPLE. DONT F(*^#^#$)$* TOUCH ME!

Prior to that, we got to the floor where our screening was.  After a bit of confusion we were told by a couple of volunteers that we needed to "get in the line for the screening."

"OK.  Where is the line?"
"There isn't a line yet.  You two will be the first in the line."

Well.  No wonder we didn't know where the line was!  There was no line.

Things like "festivals" (of any sort) are not really my scene, but I go to film festival screenings sometimes because I like movies.  STEP UP YER GAME, CINEQUEST.  I mean, alls I'm sayin' is that I like going to the movies, but I don't like having to interact with a dozen different people before I sit my ass down, you know?

Anyway, the first film in the festival that I saw was Little Baby Jesus of Flandr.  I kinda don't remember how I chose which films I wanted to see at the festival.  I remember kinda browsing the website and seeing ratings on IMDB and making a list/schedule.  This popped up because it has an interesting title.  I wanted to get into a Yelp Elite screening (I'm on the squad, weirdly enough), but it was full up! Boo.  So, I ended up here instead.

The film kinda asks the question What would happen if the nativity story took place in Belgium? and What if the three magi were three retarded dudes?    


Well, apparently not much goes down.  To be totally honest, I'm not sure if this movie was a joke or not.  Was it an attempt at serious religious commentary?  Was it supposed to be blasphemous?  I have no idea.

The film is black and white except for one short part where a person (a tranny?) is singing in a night club.  That part is in color.  Then it cuts back to black and white.  Yeah, I don't know.

Half of the cast of the film are people with (what I believe to be?) Down Syndrome.  OK...interesting.

You can play I Spy Ikea furniture.  The stuff is everywhere.  Even in arty movies from Belgium.


Before the feature, they showed an animated short called The Tannery which was a charming animal story with a vegetarian/animal rights slant.  I really liked the animation, it looked like it was done on watercolor paper.  They were working off a crappy scratched up DVD or something, though.  Boo!

In spite of the few hitches, I will likely be going to a couple of Cinequest screenings on the weekend, too. I ain't no player hater.

No comments:

Post a Comment